The great questions of life and knowing the meaning of it all- we all ask ourselves these at one point. Some seek out answers while most sweep it under a theology rug of no application. I know where the answers are. Many people CHOOSE not to accept these truths. While that is true, you don’t have to accept this truth- the fact of the matter is- it has always been a choice- your choice.
I’m not even talking about Baptist denomination here or any other labels. I would like to discuss the condition of your soul – the true heart of the matter. We are a triune being. Three in one, we have a body, mind, and soul. Your soul is what lives on when our physical body gives up on this earth. Your mind is what makes up you- your thoughts, personality, and preferences. The three together make a very unique, one of kind – You!
No one wants to talk about death. If it’s only one thing that we have learned in our life- it is that no matter how hard we try- we cannot avoid death. It comes to us all. Prepared or not, rich or poor, loved or not, young or old, accident or aged. Rarely is one so ready to step from this life to the next.
We as people are used to being divided- Republicans/Democrats, Men/Women, Boys/Girls, Coffee drinkers/ not coffee people, red/Blue, Ford/Chevrolet, — and before you tell me you are an Independent, unidentified, child, who drinks soda, and drives a purple Toyota- I would tell you to put your hand back down- and listen up.
The question is what section will you be sit’in in– in eternity? If there is a seat waiting for you in a large auditorium receiving all the earth’s departed souls; a place for you to potty and then wait to get your itinerary for your new life– what section will you be in?
Smoking or Non
You may think that seems a bit harsh right, insensitive of me even. I’m not prejudice against smokers. I’m really not even referring to tobacco- seriously, that’s whole nother blog. I do believe in the real place of heaven and hell.
The finality of our soul is more than just attending a church on Sunday and abstaining from ____?_____. (Whatever you wanna fill the blank with.) Most Americans have some concept of religion. And many have no use for it- as they have been offended by a “Christian hypocrite”. Or their parents made them go to church. Or some just don’t want to be faced with “giving up of something they hold dear.”
“If I become a Christian, I would have to quit smoking”. Just an example… no hate please. But literally people fill that blank with all sorts of excuses. AH… and that says to me- that your conscience says that you know that some of the things in this life are wrong… hmm…very interesting.
Let me walk slowly through this with you. I have the answer to some of life’s pondering questions. Sadly this is a one sided debate- and I’m not really a debater. So, why should you listen to me? What makes me so special?
Well, first of all -I’m not special. But, I am qualified; I grew up just like you. I’m an American, I went to school, I played outside and partied- drank out of the water hose, I lived through the 80’s, regret some of those pictures too. I’m going to be quite frank- I know you don’t wanna dilly dally around with something this serious. Bottom line is I’m concerned for your soul- bottom line…
- Where do I get these definitive answers? The Bible, King James Version, the holy word of God. I do believe the Bible is living, inerrant, infallible, inspired word from God- written just for us. I have chosen to back everything with scripture- New Testament even for those who feel the Old Testament is irrelevant- it so is relevant!
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. (Matthew 24:35)
-The Bible has stood the test of time- being preserved all these years. God’s word is as convicting today as the day it was when penned on the paper. Read all the scriptures- don’t just pass over them- thinking they don’t apply. I double dog dare you- to see this through to the end.
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- Who is God? He is our creator and father. God indeed is our father whether we all recognize him or not. His fathership isn’t dependent on our acknowledgment or acceptance of this fact. He is God, beginning and end- first and the last. Like it or not. That makes us accountable to him.
One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all. (Ephesians 4:6)
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made. (I John 1:1-3)
- How good do ya have to be to get into heaven? That’s a valid question; the truth of it is –none of us are that good. We have all made mistakes on accident or on purpose- it doesn’t matter – We have all sinned. Adults and children alike—ALL Our sin has separated us from God’s love. God cannot look upon sin- nor can sin be in heaven. It is a perfect place.
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)
But the scripture hath concluded all under sin that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. (Galatians 3:22)
- What is sin? Sin is anything that that we think, say, or do that breaks Gods law. Even Google says sin is, “an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law. A sin in the eyes of God.”
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good and doeth [it] not, to him it is sin. (James 4:17)
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (I John 1:8-10)
- Where did sin come from? Sin began very early on for humanity and it has been passed down with each passing generation- it is a birth right we cannot escape.
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (Romans 5:12)
- Why does sin matter? Because with sin in our lives that means separation from God, the one who created us. God cannot be in the presence of sin. The cost of my sin is death; separation from God in an eternal Hell.
“But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.” (Isaiah 59:2)
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)
- Sin cannot enter into heaven. It’s just not possible, we’ve all done wrong. Even the good things we do are counted as filthy rags.
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. (I Corinthians 6:9-10)
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. Isaiah 64:6
- Why should I care? It matters because God created us, in spite of ourselves, he still loves us. All hope is not lost. We don’t have to just give up and accept that life has no purpose. God wants us to willingly come to him- of our own free will. He made a way- a plan- to right all the wrongs.
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth on him shall not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)
- What is Hell? Hell is not just some byword that people use when they mash their thumb. It’s a real place. If heaven is real then so is Hell. It was created for Satan and never meant for us. Sin changed everything. It is not a place of rest, peace, or comfort.
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. (Revelation 21:8)
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. (Matthew 10:28)
And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. (Matthew 13:50)
- Who is Jesus? How does he fit in? God knew that man messed up and couldn’t do this on his own. God sent Jesus to come to earth- born of a virgin- living a humble life. That’s what Christmas is about- not Santa Clause. God offered his only son as a living sacrifice to cover all of our sins. Jesus willingly paid the sin debt for the whole world. Whether you accept him or not- he paid for you. He died on a cross as a perfect sin sacrifice for you and me- even though we don’t deserve it.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. (John 3:17)
For by grace are you saved through faith; and not of yourselves; it is the gift of God. (Ephesians 2:8)
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (II Corinthians 5:21)
- What happened after Jesus died?
Jesus was crucified on a cross for our sin. He had done nothing wrong. Satan thought he’d won a victory by getting rid of Jesus. On the third day after Jesus’ death something amazing happened. Jesus rose from the grave- the angel opened the tomb for all to see that he wasn’t there. Death could not hold him. He is not dead- He is ALIVE! – that’s what Easter is about- not bunnies or eggs.
And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. (Matthew 28:5-6)
He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. (Luke 24:6-7)
- Why is Jesus dying for me important?
Though Jesus we have hope, we have access to the father- he reconciled or paid the bill- by him giving himself as a sacrifice. He is our mediator and high priest. When God sees me- Jesus is standing right in front of me.. I am now presentable- through Jesus and his love.
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. (Romans 5:1-2)
For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement. Romans 5:10-11
- How do I get to go to heaven to be with God? You have to be born again. No, silly- you don’t get back in the womb. This is a spiritual birth. This takes place in your heart and soul.
Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (John 3:3)
Marvel not that I said unto thee, ye must be born again. (John 3:7)
- What do I have to do to be born again? Take it word for word. Just what the scripture says. . All you have to do is Accept – that Jesus is the son of God, the creator of the world, and that he died for you, on the cross- shedding of is blood for your sins. Believe, that Jesus did that for you willingly and freely. And Confess – pray to God asking him to save your soul – that’s it!
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:9-10)
And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. (Acts 16:31)
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)
- How do I know for sure?
Satan may try to hurl doubt at you- and tell you that it didn’t really happen. I have some great verses on Eternal Security- if you need them. Give Satan the boot- and dive into the word, feed your soul, and grow in grace.
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:10)
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (John 3:18)
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. (John 3:36)
- Now What? You are a new creature in Christ, a new slate has been cleared for you- all your sins have been cleared and you begin new. You will find that the Holy Spirit has come to live in your heart; he will work in your soul and begin to change you. Old things of interest- won’t be so much fun. This is a good thing. God is at work. He is always with you and will never leave you.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; (II Corinthians 5:17-18)
Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (Hebrews 13:5)
- So what happens if I sin again? So, yeah, it’s not really a matter of if but when. I told you we are all sinners- we just can’t help it. But you don’t have to go get saved again. Just pray to God- through Christ and ask for forgiveness. It’s just that easy. So, it’s a ticket to sin- I can ask forgiveness every time I do something wrong. Yes you can and No, not exactly- If that’s your outlook than I’d say you didn’t have a life changing conversion. If Jesus has redeemed your soul and you are looking to God- you just don’t wanna be that old you anymore.
To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. (Acts 26:18)
In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; Ephesians (1:7)
In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: (Colossians 1:14)
So, you aren’t buying all this Jesus stuff. Alright. It wasn’t for sale anyway. It’s a free gift. God wants us to Choose him! He wants us to willingly make that choice. All you have to do is Accept – that Jesus is the son of God, the creator of the world, and that he died for you, on the cross- shedding of is blood for your sins. Believe, that Jesus did that for you willingly and freely. And Confess – pray to God asking him to save your soul – that’s it!
Getting saved is so easy a child can do it. Us adults are always looking for the strings attached or we try to weigh the pros and cons. The true distance between heaven and hell is the measurement between your head and heart. You can read all of this and understand it- but if you don’t believe it with your heart and soul nothing will change.
I know this got long in a hurry, I want to be thorough. I care genuinely for you and your family. Would I be much of a friend if I knew this great secret and I kept it hid to myself? NO, I wouldn’t.
If you made a decision, I’d love to know it- you need encouraging! I wanna help you. Drop me a line- private if you want. We can talk about what to do next. The angels are rejoicing in heaven right now! No kidding!
Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth. (Luke 15:10)
In your service,